Thursday, October 14, 2010

Dickhead Diego

The next flat on my list was a little further away from the centre but with a park out the front. The price was also attractive (€150 a month, plus gas and water bills). The fact that I would be the first to move in gave me the opportunity of first pick for a room (the biggest one with the double bed and the view to the park, please). The flat was very big, 4 bedrooms, a large kitchen, a large lounge room and a balcony. Let’s not forget the big front garden either. I agreed with the dueño (owner of the flat) that I would be looking at a few more flats still but that this one was very nice. We agreed on keeping in touch over the course of the following day. 


Graffiti


The following day I called him as we had agreed, and told him that I was interested in his flat. He said we should meet and discuss the details. We met that afternoon and he informed me that a change had been made: two Italians had seen the flat and were going to move in. This would make only three tenants, which would mean dividing the price of the flat into three. I told him that we had agreed on €150. He was adamant that until we found a fourth tenant (and now he said he wasn’t too keen on that) it would have to be €200 per person. I felt ripped off, but because of my need to move into a flat as soon as possible, and that among all the flats I had seen this was by far the nicest, I decided to settle, but on the condition of looking for a fourth tenant. I gave him €200 deposit and €100 for half of the month of September (this was on the 22nd of September). I went back to get my luggage from the Matias’ and Julio’s place and then back again to my new flat. I had a cold shower, as the warm water wasn’t working. I had €5 left over for the next few days (due to the flat’s price change), so I went to the supermarket and bought myself dinner for €2. I was very sad and felt so small and alone; I wasn’t supposed to be feeling like that… It was only my third day in Murcia…



Church dome


In the morning of the next day I went to Uni and did all the administrative things that still needed to be done. In the afternoon, Diego called and said that there were two Italians interested in the flat. I pointed out that we already had two Italians who were going to move in, which meant that there was only one more bedroom left. It turned out that there were no Italians who were going to move in. Why, then, did I have to pay €200 a month?? I no longer only felt ripped off, I now felt betrayed as well. He can’t get away with this, I thought. I went to the flat to meet the “new” two Italians. 



El Puente Viejo


They wanted to know how far the University was from the flat, so I offered to walk with them and show them. I told them my story and they got very annoyed with Diego, and expressed in words what I had been feeling for the last 24hours: I should move out. I had no desire to pack my things and move out again, but I also felt very hurt from the experience. I weighed up the pros and cons, and realized that the only real pro that was keeping me from moving out was the nice park that was in front of the flat. Was that enough? I spent the day with the two Italians. I even saw a few flats with them. We found one that was right next to the University (literally 10 meters away), at the pleasant price of €166/person/month. I still didn’t know what to do. I had to talk to someone and get a second opinion. I talked to Béla, who helped me see that what the man had said and did to me was wrong, and that if the only pro was the park, then I could walk in one anytime I wanted, I didn’t have to pay an extra €34 for it though.


My flatmates Stefano and Rocco


I called Diego and told him of my decision. I would be moving out that evening. We met, I packed my stuff and left, giving him the keys on the way out. He told me he didn’t have my money on him, but that later on we could meet. I walked across Murcia with my 40kgs once again, hoping that it would be the last time in a long time. The new flat had no lift. It took the Italian boys, the owner’s husband and me to carry my belongings up five flights of stairs. The boys and I shouted with glee that we had found a place and that we were going to live together. 



Ant's view of La Catedral


I still felt a little uneasy about the whole Diego-affair, especially after having realized that I had moved out and handed over the keys, while he still had my €300 and no paper to prove it. The boys assured me they would come with me and be there for moral support as well as any other support if needed. I went to the designated place at the designated time while the boys kept watch somewhere else in the square. After fifteen minutes of waiting, I grew impatient and gave Diego a call. He said he was on his way. He arrived and gave me the €200 deposit. What about the €100 I paid for September? No. No?? No, he wouldn’t give it to me. I told him I would pay for the sole night that I had slept in his flat, plus an extra night, but that was as far as I would go. After half an hour of heated discussion, I, utterly frustrated and angry, offered 50-50, that way both parties would be more or less happy, or at least could walk away with a percentage. He did the walking away, but with all of my €100. I shouted after him that I would go to the police. “Ok” was his reply. 



Weird side of building


I will cut this chapter of the story short. Basically, I went to the police who told me to go to the justice department. I went to the justice department that told me to come back the following morning at 9am where a lawyer would see me. The following morning I got there just before 9 and saw lots of people standing outside. I was told to come back and wait in line; I had to get a ticket. I was also told that it is best to get there before 7am to make sure. Instead, I went to the University and told them of my problem. They gave me an email address that I should write to; it is the lawyer for students, employed by the University. 



Murcian birds


I wrote and made a meeting. I met the lawyer. It was an interesting meeting. He cracked jokes, he spilled coffee all over his computer, he was paranoid about a fly that was flying around the room and determined to catch it, and he answered the phone and chatted and laughed for a few minutes… while I was talking about my problem. Apart from being quite hilarious and reminding me of Mr. Bean, this all made me fairly uneasy, as I thought that he didn’t see my problem as a very big one and so wouldn’t take it seriously. However, when he called Diego, he was very professional. So much so, that Diego agreed to meeting me and giving me back my money. The amount the lawyer had told Diego he owed was €88 (€12 amounted to the price of two nights stay).  I said a million thank you’s, as I was convinced I wouldn’t see that money again. I met Diego and he handed over €50. What about the other €38? €50 is the amount you asked me for the last time we met. Dickhead Diego.



Plaza de las Flores, the Tapas centre of Murcia

No comments:

Post a Comment