Thursday, October 14, 2010

Discovering Murcia

I woke up early and looked into the mirror, horrified. It was my turn to look like a little duck (just so you don’t feel alone Bécike). I walked to the university with a scarf around the lower part of my face, although instead of deterring attention I think I may have attracted it, for wearing a scarf in 31 degrees may seem a little odd to some. I checked my email and had a few administrative tasks to complete. I then went to the supermarket to get ingredients for making myself a sandwich, and by the time I had finished eating, it was almost midday. My duck-self had almost gone. 


Gran Vía


In the afternoon I had fun getting lost in the streets of my new city. The streets of Murcia are narrow and the typical colour of dry Spain (orangey-brown) is prominent. There aren’t many trees in the streets, but in many of the squares you can find a huge tree, higher than any of the surrounding buildings. Walking coincided with my visiting a few flats. I saw one place, in the centre of town, where the size of my bedroom would have been a bit bigger than a matchbox and where two people would have had difficulty standing. Another was near the Plaza de Toros, where my bedroom would have been the size of two matchboxes and where a bed could fit in and that’s about it. The fact that two boys and a girl, all Spanish, lived there attracted me, as this would be a good balance. This thought was pushed aside when I met one of the boys and he said that everyone lives their own lives, that they hardly see each other and that everyone keeps to their own rooms anyway. A combination of that, of the size of my bedroom, of my bedroom’s beautiful view to the back of the building next to it and of the price crossed this flat off my list.


Fountain in front of the Town Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment